Sunday, June 29, 2014

CSA Share Week #4 and 4th of July Extras

Regular Share

This week's regular share consisted of the following:


  • Cabbage
  • Broccoli
  • Red Russian Kale
  • White Scallions
  • Garlic Scapes
  • Parsely
  • Heirloom Tomatoes

Ideas for these Items

  • Cabbage
    • I think I am going to make twice cooked cabbage and chicken stir fry using 1/4 of the cabbage
    • My MIL is ill in and a nursing care facility and loves stuffed cabbage rolls so I will use a few of the leaves for that.
    • Asian Cabbage Slaw
  • Broccoli
    • I love broccoli, oh so much! I will probably steam some of it for a nice side with some lemon juice and parmesan and add the rest to daily side salads.
    • It's a nice ingredient in quiches and stir frys.
  • Red Russian Kale
    • I like this as a salad green and also sauteed with garlic and chickpeas.
  • Garlic Scapes
    • These can be added to anything that calls for garlic as a substitute. I love them in a salad.
    • Our CSA newsletter suggested a garlic scape and walnut pesto. I think I will try it out as I got a lovely basil plant at East End Co-op today!
  • Heirloom tomatoes
    • These were eaten quite quickly after we picked up our share yesterday. They were at the perfect ripeness and we were not too confident they would stay fresh very long. 
      • We had them sliced up with salt and pepper.
  • Parsely
    • I will probably add this to salads. It's quite refreshing in a pasta salad or shrimp salad.

Fourth of July Extra Share

Our CSA offers extra share options at the 4th of July, Labor Day and around Thanksgiving. Commonly, these shares include some jarred items and bagged prepared things like flours or cereals.

Our extra share included:

  • Green Lollo Lettuce
  • Spelt Flour
  • Pepper jam
  • Hot Sauce
  • Honey Puffed Corn
  • Broccoli
  • Cucumber
  • Patty Pan Squash
We've already eaten all of the honey puffed corn. It's a great snack without being too sweet.

Check back on this blog for recipes and what I've used each of the ingredients for.

What we used tonight:

Tonight's dinner consisted of a nice salad using some of the lollo lettuce and kale. I sliced up some of the cucumbers and added those as well as shaved carrots, walnuts, and herbed goat cheese. We used Drew's Smoked Tomato Dressing on it and it was wonderful and refreshing. This week's cucumbers from the 4th of July share were great!

We also had some grilled corn on the cob and baked samosas.



No comments:

Post a Comment